When we visited Mr Luke Haines this week, he whipped out his acoustic and gave us a superb run through of The Auteurs New Wave track, Home Again. We caught the special moment on camera and are thrilled to share it with you.
In 1995, Mr Luke Haines found himself with time on his hands after completing The Auteurs third album, After Murder Park. so he headed back into the studio and recorded Baader Meinhof, an album art project recounting the story of the Baader Meinhof group, a bunch of 1970s West German urban revolutionaries.
Armed with an array of synths, a head full of funk and a super-top classical Indian percussionist, the result is dance music for the brain, movies for the ear. Just imagine George Clinton producing a malevolent KC and the Sunshine Band all jacked up on militant Last Poets bongo rhyme.
Baader Meinhof is available on CD with 5 bonus tracks including previously unavailable full length remixes and exclusive sleevenotes by Mr Haines.
It is also available on heavyweight 180gsm vinyl
Mr Haines says “Whack up the low end and dig with open mind and ears. All recorded on tape and executed with intent. Headphones on. Volume way up”.
Baader Meinhof Expanded Edition Tracklist
1. Baader Meinhof
2. Meet Me at the Airport
3. There’s Gonna be an Accident
5. Theme From Burn, Warehouse, Burn
6. GSG – 29
7. ….It’s a Moral Issue
8. Back on the Farm
9. Kill Ramirez
10. Baader Meinhof
11. I’ve Been A Fool For You – LP Bonus 7”
12. Baader Meinhof (Confrontation Remix)
13. There’s Gonna Be An Accident (Fuse Remix)
14. There’s Gonna Be An Accident (Muziq remix)
15. Mogadishu (Dalai Lama Remix)
“Made with intent, reissued with intent” Mr Luke Haines
It won’t come as too much of a surprise to you to learn that Mr Luke Haines is one of very most favourite musicians, authors, artists, raconteurs and, well, you get the idea, so it gives us huge pleasure to bring you the re-issue of The Auteurs debut album, New Wave.
New Wave is re-issued on 2CDs with bonus content compiled by Mr Luke Haines, the heart, soul and brains of the Auteurs, Baader Meinhof, Black Box Recorder and various solo projects.
Mr Luke Haines says “Some 21 years later and the album still sounds great. There is not a note that I would change.”
Originally released in 1993 after The Auteurs had issued a demo cassette, landed a tour supporting Suede and had record companies fighting to sign them, New Wave was the vanguard of the emerging, post-Nirvana British music scene. It was justly nominated for a Mercury Music Prize though the gong was taken by Suede.
The album features the singles Showgirl and How Could I Be Wrong and now includes key b-sides, live and session recordings and previously unreleased demos, taken from the actual cassette that got them signed to Hut Records.
We are also privileged to offer an exclusive and strictly limited edition 12 x 12 art print by Sian Superman that can be ordered with either format of New Wave.
Sian has recreated the New Wave artwork in her inimitable style and the print, signed by Mr Haines, is a gallery standard, fine art Giclee print on satin Hahnemuhle paper.
To order your copy of the re-issue, choose your package below:
New Wave 2CD set with exclusive sleevenotes by Mr Haines
New Wave Expanded Edition Tracklist CD1
2. Bailed Out
3. American Guitars
4. Junk Shop Clothes
5. Don’t Trust the Stars
7. How Could I Be Wrong
9. Valet Parking
10. Idiot Brother
11. Early Years
12. Home Again
13. Subculture (They Can’t Find Him) – original LP bonus 7”/CD hidden track
14. She Might Take a Train – original LP bonus 7”
15. Glad To Be Gone – Showgirl b-side
16. Staying Power – Showgirl b-side
17. Wedding Day – How Could I Be Wrong b-side
18. High Diving Horses – How Could I Be Wrong b-side
Rarities, sessions and demos
1. Housebreaker – Rough Trade Singles Club 7”
2. Valet Parking – Rough Trade Singles Club 7”
3. Starstruck (acoustic)
4. Junk Shop Clothes (acoustic)
5. Housebreaker (acoustic)
6. Home Again (acoustic)
7. New French Girlfriend(BBC Radio Session – 2.1.93) *
8. Government Bookstore (BBC Radio Session – 2.1.93) *
9. How Could I Be Wrong (BBC Radio Session – 2.1.93) *
10. Junk Shop Clothes (BBC Radio Session – 2.1.93) *
11. Bailed Out (4 track demo) *
12. American Guitars (4 track demo) *
13. Showgirl (4 track demo) *
14. Glad to Be Gone (4 track demo) *
15. Starstruck (4 track demo) *
16. Early Years (4 track demo) *
* previously unreleased